Haridwar or Hardwar, its very name
suggests that it is the gateway to most religious CHARDHAM YATRA of
BADRINATH, KEDARNATH, GANGOTRI AND YAMUNOTRI in the HIMALAYA. People
coming to Haridwar for the holy yatra feel very happy if they get
cheap and clean accommodation to stay. This thought came to an old
retired couple staying at Haridwar, Shri Karsandas Dwarkadas Joshi
and Smt. Sakerbai Joshi. Shri Jamnadas Kothari, an founder Trustees
of this Trust had gone to Haridwar in 1950 to fulfill the desire of
his mother Smt. Kesarbai to hear Shree
Bhagwat Katha on the banks of the river Ganges. Smt. Sakerbai Joshi
and Smt. Kesharbai were old friends and during the stay , this topic
of having good dharamshala for the yatris was mooted. Luckily Shri
Chhaganlal Karamshi Parekh, popularly known as Chaganbapa came to
Haridwar and he wholeheartedly supported this idea. immediately he
drew the scheme, land was purchased and plan prepared. Shri
Chhaganbapa approached few well wishers and friends and appealed for
donation. There was good response and construction work soon
started. The building with 26 rooms was ready for the yatris on 3rd
March 1952. After the death of Shri Chhaganbapa in 1968, this
building was named as "PUJYA CHHAGANBAPA SMARAK BHAWAN".
Every institution has to undergo trouble and face difficulties. Ours
was not an exception. The first Board of Trustees consisted of (1)
SHRI CHHAGANLAL K. PAREKH (2) SHRI NANJI KALIDAS MEHTA (3)SHRI
KARSANDAS D. JOSHI (4) SHRI HANSRAJ LAXMIDAS CHANDARAMJI AND (5)
SHRI JAMNADAS KHIMJI KOTHARI.
After 4 years, in 1956 Shri Nanji Kalidas Mehta donated a plot of
land adjoining to the DHARAMSHALA and another building was built in
1956/57 and this building was named as SMT. JAMNABAI NARSEE BHAWAN.
Thereafter the Trustees thought that people desire good
accommodation and would prefer Blocks rather then ordinary
In 1963 Shri S.K. THAKKER of Dhanbad donated his plot of land and on
this building with self contained 8 blocks of 800 sq. ft. each were
built. This building was ready for occupation in May 1964, and 8
blocks were named after the donors.
There blocks were very popular and there was demand for more such
blocks. Donors were also there to help and hence two more plots of
land were purchased on 1968 and 1970 and two similar buildings were
built and completed in 1971 and 1972. In all 24 blocks were ready.
These buildings were names as SHRI KARAMSI DAMJI AROGYA BHUVAN AND
SHRI TULSIDAS BHAWAN in memory of Late SHRI TULSIDAS KILACHAND.
With this type of accommodation being available for a small safai
charge of Rs 12/- per day Gujarat Bhawan as our Trust is known there
became popular and there was heavy demand for the accommodation
specially during summer and Diwali vacations. It was therefore
decided to add some more rooms on the existing buildings viz.
Chhaganbapa Smarak Bhawan and Smt. Jamnabai Bhawan where the extra
F.S.I. was available. These 20 deluxe rooms with bath attached were
completed in 1979 and 1982.
In spite of this demand for more accommodation still persisted and
hence it was decided to purchase a nearby situated plot of land and
plans of 27 more deluxe rooms were prepared. There was such a rush
from the donors that few were to be disappointed. This building
named as SHRI RADHA MOHAN CHOKSI BHAWAN was completed in 1984. Shri
Mohanlal Karsandas Choksi donated a good amount for naming the
The Trustees are always ready to add more facilities when funds are
available and accordingly we are providing L.P.Gas Cylinders,
Pressure Cookers on nominal charges and supply hot water in the bath
rooms by installing Solar Heaters in all the buildings.
All past Trustees have served the institution well and have major
share of bringing the Trust to its present level and we pay our
humble tribute to them who are no longer with us.
In 1984 it was decided to diversify the activities in other fields
and with the active support and help from Dr. SHIVANAND
ADHAVARYU,eye camps were started and last 9 years 16 camps were
organised, 10 in Haridwar and 6 in Kutch and in all more than 2000
operations were performed. Along with the eye camps with the help
and co-operation from Dantavaidya shri Labhshanker Vidya, Dental
Camps were also organised and more than 1900 patients took the
On Dr. ADHAVARYU'S recommendation, a survey camp of the students of
Mandvi Taluka of Kutch was undertaken and about 5155 students from
34 villages were examined and treated. Shri Chatrabhuj Narsee one of
the Trustees provided financial help for this project.
In 1989 a Polio Camp was organised at Haridwar and 117 operations
were performed and calipers given to the patients.
With this background, it was decided to have some medical facilities
at Haridwar on permanent level. With the financial help we started
Shri ODHAVJI BHIMJI PARIVAR BAL KALYAN KENDRA, SHRI L.T.KOTHARI
PATHOLOGICAL LAB SHRI HEMANT HANSRAJ X - RAY DEPT. and SHRI DEVANI
E.C.G. CENTRE. We now have staff consisting of Doctor, Lab
Technician, X - Ray Technician.